Dé Céadaoin 21 Deireadh Fómhair 2009

Milseain Muic

During last winters ITI, and several winter rides, I had a secret weapon with me. I'm firmly convinced that it was this one thing alone that got me to McGrath(3rd from last), despite really having not ridden my bike more than 5 or 6 times in the 4 months before the race. I slipped today and fessed up the recipe on mtbr, so figured I might as well make it entirely official and introduce the entire world(who all read my blog) to the wonders of...

Bacon Candy:

Ingredients:

-2lbs 'ends and pieces' bacon, the fattier the better.
-@1 cup whole wheat flour
-@3/4 cup dark brown sugar
-some sea salt
-some honey
-whatever else you want to throw in there.
-6 pack of beer

Tools:

-Frying pan
-Large mixing bowl
-Cutting board
-Mini muffin pan
-Knife
-Aluminum foil
-A really big hammer

Directions:

Step 1: Fry the bacon.
Step 1.5: while the bacon is frying, mix all the other ingredients in the large bowl.
Step 1.52: You should be pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees farenheit while doing this.

Step 2: When the bacon is cooked to 'chewy', take it out and cut it up into tiny pieces. Mix this into the large bowl with the other ingredients.

Step 3: Pour all of the bacon fat out of the pan and into the bowl with the other ingredients.

Step 4: Mix it all together really well. If it's too thick, pour a little bit of the beer you should be drinking in there.

Step 5: put it into the mini muffin pan. do not overfill the thing, you'll regret it.

Step 6: place a layer of aluminum foil bigger than the mini muffin pan on the middle rack of the oven

Step 7: put the mini muffin tin on top of the aluminum foil, in the oven, and leave it there for 45 minutes to an hour.

Step 8: When it's done, take it out, let it cool. once cool enough not to melt anything, put it in the fridge for a while. this'll make it easier to get the candy out.

Step 9: Try not to eat all of it right away...

Step 10: You haven't finished the 6 pack?!? WTF is wrong with you?

These'll keep for several months if refrigerated. They are incredibly delicious, soft at -30, and guaranteed to increase your chances of experiencing cardiac arrest.

I've been banned from making them in my landlords oven(see note about overfilling the muffin tray above), but I'll try to sneak a batch in when I get back from Norton Sound, where I'll be heading for a few days of work tomorrow.

No comments: